Monday, August 9, 2010

pizza

Actually, this post is about a 20k race that we ran this weekend.  The pizza came after...

We decided to run a race for this training run - the schedule said "12 miles" for this weekend, and there was a 20k (12.4 miles) about an hour away.  Running in a race is fabulous - there are water stops, other runners and it makes it feel like you are doing something right now rather than in advance of the marathon.

The downside of running in the this kind of race is my urge not to lope in the back.  The difference between running 11 minute miles and 12 minute miles in a smallish race is pretty big.  With the former, you are running with others, albeit just a few others.  With the slower pace, you are running alone, trying to get to the finish line where the other 1,000 people are stretching. 

So I ran the 11 minute miles, which felt ok until about mile 10.  I guess this makes sense, since last week's endurance run was... 10 miles.  At 10 miles, you are close but not home to the finish line of a 20k.  I don't think I can train for an 11 minute mile marathon.

Anyway, all of this is to say that it was a great race.  We both finished strong, and now have a couple of days off before we start dreading the next 14 mile training run.

And for dinner, we went out for pizza.  We split a 12-inch, and I was pouring on the parm.  Have I mentioned that I love cheese?

No comments:

Post a Comment